Community Service Action Plan
29671 391st Ave.
Wagner, SD 57380
The Community Service Program promotes the American Legion Auxiliary’s visibility within our localities through our commitment to community, state, and nation. By being visible in our localities, the Community Service Program Demonstrates who we are, what we do, and why we matter. Work with and invite other organizations to work on service projects to heighten awareness of the American Legion Auxiliary’s local efforts to support our veterans, service members, their families, and the community.
IDEAS OF THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Volunteer at and help organize service projects on ALA suggested days of services. These days are 9-11 National Day of Service and Remembrance (Sept. 11), Make a Difference Day (Oct. 21), Veterans Day (Nov. 11), National Family Volunteer Day (Nov. 18), Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service (Jan. 15), and National Volunteer Week (April 22 -28).
- Register service projects on websites, community forums and social media to attract other community members to participate in your service projects.
- Volunteer for local service projects and causes (walks, special events, etc.). Work with your post home to offer space and their participation in local service projects and causes.
- Volunteer at local libraries, food pantries, domestic violence shelters, senior citizen centers, assisted living centers, and nursing homes. Sponsor and participate in activities at these facilities.
- Represent the Auxiliary as a member of local community boards and committees.
- Attend and represent the Auxiliary at special celebrations and events in the community like holiday parades, grand openings of community facilities, and community leader recognition ceremonies.
- Connect to and be supportive of ALA Call to Service Corps AmeriCorps members and members serving other AmeriCoprs veteran and military family projects in their communities.
- Volunteer with your local Meals on Wheels to deliver meals.
- Remember to always be a visible representative of the Auxiliary. You can do this by wearing an Auxiliary vest, a shirt with the ALA name or emblem, or an Auxiliary pin.
COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD
A Unit Community Service Award will be presented by the Department (and then sent on to National). It will be awarded to the most outstanding overall Community Service program during the 2017-2018 administrative year.
Entries must include the award cover sheet that is included in this packet. Include the name of the award, the name and contact information for the department and unit Community Service chairman.
Please include pictures and newspaper articles.
All entries must be sent to the Community Service department chairman by May 1, 2018. Send to Linda Youngbluth, 29671 391st Ave., Wagner, SD 57380.